Indonesian Folktales

Monday, January 23, 2012

It Always Takes Two To Tango

When something bad happens, like your loved one suddenly leave you, do you really think that you are a victim?

Sometimes I like to think life as a school where I learn about certain things through experience. And like any other school, there are several compulsory subjects to take. These are subjects that will aim specifically to enhance growth by experiencing pain and sufferings like illness, a breakup, job loss, and many others. And it’s very normal and common to think ourselves as victims especially because we think pain is a one way action. Take a breakup for example. A breakup often initiated by one person in a relationship and it most likely hurt the other one involved. But if we take a closer look at the problem then we will be able to say ‘it takes two to tango.’

Image Credit

I myself just got out of an unhealthy long-term relationship with a guy. We were together for almost six years until one day he disappeared just like that. I remember we still talked on the phone one evening and the next day he stopped answering my calls, replying my text and until now I have no idea about his whereabouts. Four months after he left, I then decided to stop trying to reach him. Knowing that wasn’t the first time he disappeared during our 5 years together, I made up my mind that enough is enough. I couldn’t stand treated like that any longer. I thought I’d been giving him too much liberty to come and go without notice all this time. Even if it’s final, I still thought I deserved an explanation.

Since then, I spent years thinking myself as a victim of this relationship. Until one day I was able to overcome the pain, the anger and resentments then I could see this problem more objectively. Even though I still don’t know the reason why he ended the relationship like that, I’m sure I contribute something to the breakup. It could be the lack of communications, lack of understanding, or too much compromising, or anything. One thing I learn from this is, thinking myself as a victim doesn’t help at all. It was only prolong the pain and made me stuck in a rut. But when I took the responsibility and admit that I might also did something that make the other person end the relationship, I felt more empowered and I was able to pull myself together faster.

That’s life. No matter how hard you try to hold on to something, if that is never meant to be yours it won’t stay. So, yes a breakup hurts like hell especially if it’s a good relationship that gone sour. But when you get over it you’ll know the sweetness of this saying “Never be sad for what is over, just be glad that it was once yours”.

No comments:

Post a Comment