Indonesian Folktales

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Simple Steps To Shoosh Away That Dark Clouds


There are times I wake up with a bad mood and feeling lethargic. And sometimes this feeling can last for days and shift throughout the day from bored, mellow to feeling depressed. I call this kind of feeling as “Being visited by Dementor” feeling. For a slight info, Dementor are creatures in Harry Potter book that feed off human happiness, and thus cause depression and despair to anyone near them.
            Of course, letting this feelings last for days can disturb my routines. But I find that sometimes simple things like treating myself more or a change in my diet can really help to boost up the good feelings inside. Here are some other options I usually do to shoosh the dark cloud away from my head.

-Take a shower. Water is known to have healing effects on both human’s emotion and body. And sometimes, just a short refreshing shower is enough to snap me out of a bad mood.
-Unplug then go outside. Spending hours in front of the computer or TV, no matter how positive or interesting the content on the screen, can leave me feeling drain and tired. Regularly unplugging myself from technology and spend more time outside just to breathe the fresh air and enjoy the beauty of Mother Nature make me feel rejuvenated instantly.
- Exercise. A good workout can be an excellent mood booster. It also can help loosen up the body, activate the endorphins, and produce happy feeling.
-Nibble on chocolate. Experts say, one small piece of chocolate contains a pleasure-promoting, mood-regulating neuro-transmitter called phenylethylamine, which stimulates a rush of endorphins, the same compounds released during an orgasm.
-Make a cup of tea, coffee or chocolate. Not only the taste but the smells of these beverage can be therapeutic and make me feel ease and relax.
-Laugh. This is may be the simplest way to clear out the blues. I like to find something funny on the books or TV and allow myself to laugh really hard.
-Gratitude attitude. Writing down things that I feel good and thankful about usually ignite the positive feelings inside.
- Nix the negativity. Finally the most fundamental thing in boosting up moods is my thinking pattern. If I have negative thoughts racing in my mind, I will take a deep breath and choose to think a better feeling thoughts. If this can be a new habit, bad mood will no longer be a problem.  

No comments:

Post a Comment