Indonesian Folktales

Friday, January 20, 2012

Would You Change Your...?

There are times when we just have to accept and surrender to the flow of life. Well I guess, that how life is, always flowing and changing and as part of it, like it or not we too have to live with it.
What I learn is that resisting change will not make life easier, especially if we talk about changes that actually serve us good. This reminds me of what happened to a friend years ago.

She is a mobile and successful career woman with a bit conservative way of thinking. The fact that her high education and she’d lived overseas for more than 5 years doesn’t change her way of doing certain things. One thing I remember, she had always refused to have a credit card. Not that I encourage anyone to have one but I think for people who are always on the go and who can afford having it, a credit card could be handy especially if you travel a lot. 

I remember the first time she was offered to have a credit card was when she was about to move to Denmark for 2 years job training. She refused for she was sure she could survive without that plastic money. Then years after that, which showed that indeed she had survived living without using credit card, surprisingly she asked me how and where to apply for one. When I asked why all of the sudden she wanted to have one, she said because she finally felt it would be more practical to buy flight tickets, to book a hotel, to pay medical admission and many more using a credit card. It took her perhaps 10 years to finally decide to have one.

Lately she’s been having this issue that continuously makes her considering buying a smart phone. One day she said to me she couldn’t understand why people especially her clients wanted her so much to use a Blackberry. She said she couldn’t see the biggie of using it. She’s still quite satisfied with her simple cell phone that enables her making and receiving phone calls and text messages. When I asked why she still refused to use a smart phone, she said she still didn’t feel the necessity to use it. Well, it’s all surely up to her. For me, I wouldn’t mind changing my phone, my banking method even my job as long as it's within my capacity and it supports my growth and expand my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment